Purchasing Manager/Senior Buyer
Position Title: Purchasing Manager/Senior Buyer
Location: Baytown, TX
The Purchasing Manager/Senior Buyer is responsible for organizing and supervising purchasing functions of TWA; managing daily activities in purchasing to include day to day purchase, coordinating bid process and ensuring compliance with procurement conflict of interest policies and regulations. This role is critical in liaising between the managers, inventory, finance and purchasing team members to ensure continuity of materials and supplies to manage our deliverables to customers. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. Market awareness pertaining to conditions, trends, and formulate short and long-term strategies to meet quality and supply requirement(s) that coincide with cost containment and cost reduction goals. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, to perform essential job functions.
Primary responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Organizational ability to manage the receipt for material purchases and negotiate with vendors and suppliers to secure them at a competitive price.
• Lead and direct the work of buyers including training and supervising.
• Create and issue purchase orders to suppliers in an efficient manner.
• Back up Buyers to include ordering of supplies/goods, equipment and material, reviewing, and processing/issuing of purchase order.
• Review and maintain good record of purchasing files and records (purchase orders, contracts, etc.) to ensure its compliance with company policies and procedures and ensure the availability of documentation
• Communicate material delivery status as well as shortages and delays effectively to Production team members so that they can plan accordingly.
• Analyze and resolve unfavorable purchase price variances.
• Continually improve purchasing methods/processes.
• Review deliveries with orders to ensure that they meet expectations and quality standards.
• Collect and analyze data for quotes as needed.
- Effective communication and customer skills with vendors’ representatives.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; ability to build strong professional relationships.
- Establish a reliable line of contact with the management team to ensure that all field purchase orders are accurate.
- Negotiate and ensure company policies and procedures are followed.
- Ensure material is ordered in a timely manner and that delivery meets production schedule timeline.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills; an above average understanding of math and pricing methodology.
- A self-driven individual with an ability to create purchasing strategies to meet the dynamic needs of the organization.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Resourceful in identifying solutions and creating options in purchasing and pricing strategies.
- Monitor supplier performance and take action when needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience & Certification
• Bachelor’s in Business Administration or years of experience in lieu of degree.
• Exceptional skills in speaking, reading and writing English.
• Must maintain and follow company rules as stated in all policies and Code of Conduct.
• Workmanship must be maintained to adequate quality control level to meet customer requirements.
• Proficiency in MS Office products.
Preferred Education and Experience
• 5-years of previous experience in purchasing background preferred.
• ISM’s C.P.M. and/or APIS’ CPIM certification preferred.
• MS Nav ERP/MRP experience.
• Effective communication
• Multitasking capabilities
• Organizational Abilities
• Technology Adaptability
• Active Listening
• Employee is continually required to talk and hear.
• Must be able to lift up-to 10 lbs.
• Must have full mobility in bending and squatting.
• Must be able to stand or walk on feet.
Work is performed primarily indoors in a controlled temperature environment, but not limited to outdoors exposure to changing weather conditions.
• Report safety hazards.
• Immediately report incidents involving illness, injury or property damage.
• Wear appropriate PPE as instructed.
• Comply with all safety policies, procedures and rules.
• Refuse any unsafe task or operation.
• Participation in safety meetings and training.
• Keep constant awareness of their personal safety and that of team members to promote a safe work environment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Work schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Schedule could change based on business needs.
Minimum travel is expected for this position.
Eligibility to work in the U.S. with the appropriate work authorization documentation.
Taylor-Wharton America is an EEO/AA Employer M/F/D/V.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice due to the dynamic nature of the business.