Quality Control Engineer
Position Title: Quality Control Engineer
Location: Baytown, TX
The Quality Control Engineer ensures quality of products throughout the manufacturing process. He/she applies in-depth knowledge of product specifications, properties and characteristics of metals, testing equipment and engineering principles to create efficiencies for the shop, while ensuring our products meet customer specifications, code and regulatory requirements.
- Performs Quality inspections per the product Inspection and Test Plan and work order traveler.
- Identifies opportunities for improvements in quality, cost and efficiency.
- Monitors and measures manufacturing processes to identify ways to reduce waste, decrease throughput time, and improve quality.
- Maintains a regular presence on the shop floor.
- Ensures adherence to safety rules and practices.
Required Education, Experience & Certification
- Bachelors Degree Mechanical Engineering, Welding Engineering, Welding Engineering Technology with training in Metallurgy, Materials Engineering with training in Metallurgy, Welding and Welding technology.
- Basic understanding of AWS, ASME and ASTM code preferred.
- Familiarity with Non-destructive testing techniques: VT, MT, PT, UT.
- In depth knowledge of Welding Metallurgy preferred.
- Engineering and Technology – Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of pressure vessels.
- Mechanical – Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics – Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Production and Processing – Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Weld symbol and engineering drawing reading and interpretation.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills for both internal and external customers.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Adaptability and flexibility to shift priorities based on the organizations needs.
- Self-motivated and able to exercise independent judgment and make sound decisions, take ownership/accountability and operate with minimal supervision.
- Integrity and professionalism are essential.
Special Physical Requirement:
- Visual acuity per AWS requirements
Standing for long periods of time, walking extensively, bending, confined space requirements, laying on your back, crawling, climbing with ladder or harness system up to 4 feet high. Must be able to lift, up to 50 lbs.
Office and manufacturing floor, confined space, noise, extreme temps both high and low. Open air, and exposure to dust and fumes related to the industry well within safety standards; short periods of time in 15 to 20-minute intervals. Longer exposure for Cryogenic run test. Cryogenic vapors, moving parts. Hydrostatic or pneumatic tests can take up to two (2) hours. Monday through Friday, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Report safety hazards.
- Immediately report incidents involving illness, injury or property damage.
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed. Steel toed shoes, safety glasses, and ear plugs.
- Comply with all safety policies, procedures and rules.
- Awareness of occupational hazards.
- Temperature of cryogenic liquids.
- Hazardous material knowledge.
- Comfortable in confined space 16 inch inside diameter to size of tank entry.
- Participation in safety meetings and training.
- Be aware of personal safety as well as that of team members to promote a safe work environment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Work schedule is Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. following production schedule that may change periodically to meet business needs. Evenings, weekends, and holidays as required.
Eligibility to work in the U.S. with the appropriate work authorization documentation.
Taylor-Wharton America is an EEO/AA Employer M/F/D/V.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice due to the dynamic nature of the business.