Job Title: Buyer
Job Location: Taylor Wharton – Baytown, TX
Job Type: Full-time
The Buyer will be able to process purchasing requisitions from the managers and turn them into purchase orders. The Buyer will be responsible to place and manage purchase orders with suppliers and vendors in response to requisitions for materials, goods and services to meet company on-time delivery and quality objectives. This role is critical in liaising between the managers, inventory, finance and purchasing team members to ensure continuity of materials and supplies to manage our deliverables to customers. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. Market awareness pertaining to conditions, trends, and formulate short and long-term strategies to meet quality and supply requirement(s) that coincide with cost containment and cost reduction goals. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, to perform essential job functions.
Primary responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Front Desk duties; answering phones, greeting customers. Direct visitors to the appropriate office, process incoming mail, order supplies etc. Maintain lunch area and lobby.
- Organizational ability to manage the receipt for material purchases and negotiate with vendors and suppliers to secure them at a competitive price.
- Create and issue purchase orders to suppliers in an efficient manner.
- Communicate material delivery status as well as shortages and delays effectively to Production team members so that they can plan accordingly.
- Review deliveries with orders to ensure that they meet expectations and quality standards.
- Analyze and resolve unfavorable purchase price variances.
- Collect and analyze data for quotes as needed.
- Effective communication and customer skills with vendors’ representatives.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills: ability to build strong professional relationships.
- Establish a reliable line of contact with the management team to ensure that all field purchase orders are accurate.
- Negotiate and ensure company policies and procedures are followed.
- Ensure material is ordered in a timely manner and that delivery meets production schedule timeline.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills; an above average understanding of math and pricing methodology.
- A self-driven individual with an ability to create purchasing strategies to meet the dynamic needs of the organization.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Resourceful in identifying solutions and creating options in purchasing and pricing strategies
- Monitor supplier performance and take action when needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience & Certification
- Bachelors in Business Administration or years of experience in lieu of degree.
- Exceptional skills in speaking, reading and writing English
- Must maintain and follow company rules as stated in all policies and Code of Conduct.
- Workmanship must be maintained to adequate quality control level to meet customer requirements.
- Proficiency in MS Office products.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 5-years of previous experience in purchasing background preferred.
- ISMs C.P.M. and/or APIS CPIM certification preferred.
- MS Nav ERP/MRP experience.
- Effective communication
- Multitasking capabilities
- Organizational Abilities
- Technology Adaptability
- Active Listening
- Employee is continually required to talk and hear.
- Must be able to lift up to 10 lbs.
- Must have full mobility in bending and squatting.
- Must be able to stand or walk on feet.
- Work is performed primarily indoors in a controlled temperature environment, but not limited to outdoors exposure to changing weather conditions.
- Report safety hazards.
- Immediately report incidents involving illness, injury or property damage.
- Wear appropriate PPE as instructed
- Comply with all safety policies, procedures and rules
- Refuse any unsafe task or operation
- Participation in safety meetings and training
- Keep constant awareness of their personal safety and that of team members to promote a safe work environment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Work schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Schedule could change based on business needs.
No regular travel is expected for this position. Intermittent trips may be required; not expected to exceed 10%.
Eligibility to work in the U.S. with the appropriate work authorization documentation.
Taylor-Wharton America is an EEO/AA Employer M/F/D/V.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice due to the dynamic nature of the business.